How to Protect Your Dog From Ticks
No matter how hard you try to avoid it, sometimes ticks happen.
The first step in tick safety is prevention.
You can try:
- Holistic Sprays
- Products such as Frontline
- Tick repellent clothing
- Adding garlic or apple cider vinegar to your dog’s diet
What do do after leaving a place where dog could possibly be affected?
Check shorthaired dogs for ticks, especially in hard to reach areas, such as behind the ears, armpits, between the toes, back of the tail and top of the head. If you have a long haired dog you should check everywhere.
How to remove ticks.
- First of all, remember to stay calm. Everything is easier when you’re relaxed.
- Spread your dog’s fur to expose the tick.
- Grab the tick by the body using a tick removal gadget or tweezers.
- Gently rotate until the entire tick comes out.
- Dispose of the tick, trapping it in scotch tape, flushing it or rubbing alcohol.
- Don’t smother the tick while it’s still attached.
- Disinfect the area.
If you quickly pull the tick out the head could break off in the dog.
Tics don’t have to be scary. Just be sure to prevent any possible infections in advance. And as always, please feel free to stop by our store if you have any questions or use or online chat.