8 Things You Didn’t Know About CBD Oil for Dogs
The researchers have been paying attention and testing this herb and the results are in; they’re finding that there is a lot to like about CBD in helping dogs, just as it has helped humans with its health-boosting (even life-saving) benefits.
Here are 8 things that you might not know about this herb that has taken the world by storm with so much misconception in the marketplace.
- CBD is not Psychoactive (you can’t get high from it): CBD (cannabidiol) is a compound that is found in both cannabis and hemp. THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) can also be found in cannabis and is what gives marijuana its psychoactive properties. Most CBD oils are simply just the benefits of CBD without the THC. Typically CBD is usually extracted from hemp rather than marijuana, so simply put – your dog won’t get high from CBD oil. She’ll get the relaxation without the intoxication.
- CBD Oil Reduces Anxiety: CBD has been extensively studied for its effect on stress and anxiety. In humans it’s been found to:
- Reduce anxiety while speaking in public
- Reduce anxiety in both healthy people and those with anxiety disorders
- Be effective in those with panic disorders and PTSD
- CBD Can Fight Cancer: CBD and other substances in hemp and cannabis have been determined to have an anti-tumor effect. CBD has even been found to stop cancer cells from growing and increase death of cancerous cells.
- CBD has been shown to help the immune systems Killer T Cells consume cancerous cells
- CBD kills cancerous cells by inhibiting their ability to produce energy.
- The anti-tumor properties of CBD slow and inhibit glioma cell growth.
- CBD Can Treat Seizures and Epilepsy: An estimated 5% of dogs suffer from seizures. Most of them are put on drugs like phenobarbital and potassium bromide which may help control the seizures but can be extremely harmful to your dog’s liver and other internal organs. Unfortunately, these drugs also do not work in all cases. CBD has been shown to be effective in drug-resistant epilepsy. In one study, 83% of patients with drug resistant epilepsy saw a marked improvement within 4 -5 months of taking CBD on a regular schedule. In another study, 84% of children with treatment-resistant epilepsy who had been taking CBD had a reduction in the frequency of seizures.
- CBD is a Pain Reliever: Scientists are considering CBD as a new class of drug in the treatment of chronic pain since the cannabinoids in CBD work so well for controlling pain. Studies show that CBD is highly effective for
- Decreasing pain (including neuropathy and nerve-related pain)
- Decreasing the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress (which causes degeneration and premature aging)
- Decreasing inflammation in acute pancreatitis
- Reducing inflammation
- Reducing intestinal inflammation associated with irritable bowel disease. Animal studies show that CBD is effective is preventing colitis (IBD) and restoring normal gut motility in IBD.
- CBD Helps Protect the Nervous System and Helps with Neurodegenerative Diseases: For does that are suffering from degenerative myelopathy and other spinal and nervous issues, CBD shows great promise. It’s been shown to help patients with ALS, Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases by protecting the brain cells from toxicity. For senior dogs CBD has been shown to protect the brain from cell death caused by toxins and free radicals.
- CBD Increases Appetite And Helps With Nausea: If you have trouble getting your dog to eat, CBD can help. The National Cancer Institute reports that CBD increases appetite. In animal studies, CBD has also been shown to help with vomiting and nausea, even when they’re the result of toxins and drugs.
- CBD Promotes Cardiovascular Health: CBD has been linked to heart health. Studies show it can reduce the damage from damaged blood vessels and irregular heart rates, protect blood vessels from damage and dilate the arteries, and reduce heart rate and blood pressure associated with stress and anxiety.
CBD Oil For Dogs Is Legal And Safe
With so many studies showing the health benefits of CBD, the most encouraging result is that CBD appears to be safe, even when taken in high doses and over extended periods of time. It can decrease the activity of liver enzymes used to metabolize many prescription drugs, so if your dog is on medication, check with your vet before using CBD.
Most CBD oil for dogs and other pets is derived from hemp oil, so it contains no or very small traces of THC. Because of this, all 50 states have approved the use of hemp-based CBD for human and animal products.
The bottom line is, CBD oil could be a healthy (or even life-saving) herb for your dog. More and more pet owners and vets are drawn to its diverse and marked health benefits and they feel good knowing the side effects are mild and animals don’t appear to build up a tolerance.
Choose A Good CBD Oil For Your Dog
Not all CBD oils are equal…you’ll want a high quality CBD oil that works, so here are a few things to look for:
- Go organic: If it isn’t organic, your CBD oil contains pesticides, fungicides or solvents.
- Don’t cheap out: The higher the quality and purity, the higher the cost. Don’t price shop … make sure your CBD oil is free of additives and has a good amount of CBD.
- Get the analysis: Ask for a lab analysis of the amount of CBD in the product. Many CBD oils contain only small amounts of CBD. The manufacturer should provide a certificate of analysis. You’ll also want to make sure there is little or no THC in the product.
- Buy CBD as a tincture: You can buy CBD in treats but the best form is in a tincture. This way, you can adjust your dog’s dose drop by drop to make sure he gets the most benefit. CBD treats are just that – treats. We think they’re great, just don’t use them to treat ailments, you’ll likely be disappointed in the results.
Just like any treatment, start your dog off slowly but don’t let the naysayers tell you CBD isn’t a good option for your dog … the research is being done and the results are very promising.
Come to either Bend Pet Express location and talk to our knowledgeable staff about CBD options today. We have a great selection.